Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Council Chamber - Guildhall, Bath. View directions

Contact: Marie Todd  01225 394414

Items
No. Item

1.

WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2.

EMERGENCY EVACUATION PROCEDURE

The Chair will draw attention to the emergency evacuation procedure as set out on the Agenda.

Minutes:

The Democratic Services Officer explained the emergency evacuation procedure.

3.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTION

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Tammy Randall – Finance Manager.

4.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

At this point in the meeting declarations of interest are received from Members in any of the agenda items under consideration at the meeting. Members are asked to indicate:

(a) The agenda item number in which they have an interest to declare.

(b) The nature of their interest.

(c) Whether their interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an other interest,  (as defined in Part 2, A and B of the Code of Conduct and Rules for Registration of Interests)

Any Member who needs to clarify any matters relating to the declaration of interests is recommended to seek advice from the Council’s Monitoring Officeror a member of his staff before the meeting to expedite dealing with the item during the meeting.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

5.

URGENT BUSINESS AGREED BY THE CHAIR

The Chair will announce any items of urgent business accepted since the agenda was prepared under the Access to Information provisions.

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

6.

ITEMS FROM THE PUBLIC - TO RECEIVE DEPUTATIONS, STATEMENTS, PETITIONS OR QUESTIONS

Minutes:

Graham Page addressed the Sub-Committee regarding the provision of a skate park in Alice Park.  He expressed concern regarding the size and location of the skate park and asked a number of questions, to which the Chair responded.

7.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF 27 MARCH 2017 pdf icon PDF 74 KB

To confirm and sign the minutes of the meeting held on 27 March 2017.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 27 March 2017 were confirmed and signed as a correct record.

8.

Skate Park Update

(1)  To receive a verbal update regarding the provision of a skate park at Alice Park.

 

(2)  The Trust Sub-Committee is also asked to consider whether they wish to request the Group Manager, Neighbourhood Environmental Services, to seek approval to add to the Cabinet forward plan a request for the Cabinet Members to release the £97k provisional capital for the sole purpose of building a skatepark in Alice Park.  To be spent in the 2017/18 financial year.

Minutes:

The Chair explained that the Sub-Committee had met informally at Alice Park to look at designs for the skate park.  As a result of that meeting officers have been requested to arrange a meeting with the company that is designing the skate park on behalf of the Council to discuss ways in which the design could be refined.

 

Cllr Appleyard reported that he had now met with the designers and an officer and had further discussed the size and location of the skate park.  It was now proposed that the petanque court would remain in its current position and that the skate park would “dog-leg” within the area of the trees.  Landscaping could also be provided to improve the appearance of the facility.  It was anticipated that the project would be delivered by the end of March 2018.

 

Members then discussed the following issues:

 

·  Canvas, the designers, would consult with the user group and others as necessary.  They would also take into consideration ways to decrease the noise generated by skate park users, such as a more sunken design and bunding around the outside of the structure.

 

·  Michael Hewitt, Legal Services Manager, explained that the Trust would need to agree for the Council to lease the land for the use of a skate park.  The Council would then construct the facility within the funding envelope available and provide maintenance as necessary.

 

·  Cllr Appleyard explained that the original design had been scaled back having considered concerns expressed by local residents.

 

·  Members noted that the original design had been very large and welcomed the smaller footprint.  Paul Hooper still had concerns about the location as this area was often used for picnics and other park activities.  He also stressed the need for a contingency fund for the project and a full risk assessment.

 

·  Cllr Ward acknowledged that it was important to balance the requirements of some local residents for a skate park alongside the concerns of other residents about the effect it would have on the park as a whole.  He felt that the skate park should not be too big and should not dominate.  He was also keen to ensure that other park improvements take place.  The recent survey carried out by Tony Hickman at the café had shown that park users wanted a number of other improvements and facilities.  He hoped that there would be some remaining funding left for this purpose.

 

·  Cllr Patterson did not agree with the proposal to scale back the size of the skate park as she felt it would not be challenging enough which could lead to it not being fit for purpose.  She also had concerns regarding leaves from the trees falling onto the skate park.

 

·  It was noted that planning permission for the skate park was not required as the work could be carried out under permitted development rights.

 

Cllr Ward then moved a motion which was seconded by Cllr Norton. 

 

Following further discussion and minor amendments to the motion, in order to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Alice Park Trust Statement of Accounts 2016/17 pdf icon PDF 75 KB

Expenditure incurred for Alice Park Trust in 2016/17 was £35,486; this was offset by income of £23,583, and a donation from Bath & North East Somerset Council of £11,903.

 

The Board is asked to:  

 

Agree and sign the financial statements of the Alice Park Trust for the year ending 31 March 2017 and their submission to the Charity Commission.

Agree and sign the annual report for the Alice Park Trust for the year ending 31 March 2017 and its submission to the Charity Commission.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a report which set out the Statement of Accounts for Alice Park Trust and the Annual Report for the year ending 31 March 2017.

 

It was noted that the expenditure incurred for the Alice Park Trust in 2016/17 was £35,486 which was offset by income of £23,583 and a donation from B&NES Council of £11,903.

 

Members noted that there was a deficit which had been met by the grant from the Council and also that £8k of the income specified had come from compound interest which was a one-off payment.  It was noted that this could signify problems in the future if the Trust was not able to generate sufficient income.  Members also felt that the income from events was currently low.

 

The Group Accountant agreed to send further details regarding restricted and unrestricted income streams to Sub-Committee members.

 

RESOLVED to:

 

(1)  Agree and sign the financial statements of the Alice Park Trust for the year ending 31 March 2017 and to submit the accounts to the Charity Commission.

 

(2)  To agree and sign the annual report for the Alice Park Trust for the year ending 31 March 2017 and to submit the report to the Charity Commission.

10.

Charges for Events held in Alice Park pdf icon PDF 115 KB

To note the attached information setting out fees for land hire for events in parks and open spaces from 1 April 2017.

 

One event has been held in Alice Park this year:

 

Larkhall Festival - £380 (Charity rate for 2 days).

 

Therefore to date the Trust has received an income of £760 from events this year.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee noted information setting out Council fees for land hire for events in parks and open spaces from 1 April 2017.

 

One event had been held in Alice Park this year:

 

Larkhall Festival - £380 (charity rate for 2 days)

 

The Trust had received income of £760 from events so far this year.

 

Members felt that there was a need for a more transparent process for dealing with events held in the park.  The process for logging and charging for events did not seem to be very clear.

 

It was noted that the Sub-Committee had previously agreed to use the Council’s events team to organise events within the park but that they could make different arrangements in the future if they wished.

 

Paul Hooper pointed out that a number of organisations use the park for activities such as keep fit and dance clubs.  It was felt that these types of activities should be formalised.

 

Sujata McNab stated that the Trust should receive regular information regarding events held and the income generated.

 

Cllr Appleyard expressed concern at the £75 admin fee charged by the Council’s events team as there was a need to generate more activities within the park and this could be prohibitive to smaller community events.  Mark Cassidy explained that prices had increased last year and this had no effect on the number of events held.

11.

PEST CONTROL

Minutes:

Mark Cassidy reported that the Pest Control Team had visited the park to deal with a rat problem and that this had cost £162 + VAT.  The charge for 4 visits per year by the Pest Control Team would be £466 + VAT.