Minutes

Proposed venue: Kaposvar Room - Guildhall, Bath. View directions

Contact: Mark Hayward 01225 396975  Email: mark_hayward@bathnes.gov.uk

Items
Note No. Item

14:05

1.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 62 KB

Minutes:

The minutes and actions of the 4th  February 2015 were agreed.

 

14:00

2.

Welcome, introductions and apologies

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Neil Sammells, Tracey Cox and Bernie Morley. 

14:10

3.

Presentation on Security Matters

Minutes:

A security advisor attended with Avon & Somerset Police to give the Board a briefing on security matters. 

 

15:05

4.

Environmental Sustainability Partnership Update pdf icon PDF 63 KB

Minutes:

Jane Wildblood provided the Board with an overview of current activity of the Environmental Sustainability Partnership and described how their work contributes to the three themes of the Board of living, working and getting around.  The Board discussed the potential of a community energy service which could have a significant impact on people across the whole district.  It was agreed that there should be a more in depth discussion on this at a later date.  The Board also welcomed the work on the B&NES Local Food Strategy.  There was a general discussion on how to capture the hearts and minds of people and business and engage them in the environmental agenda.  Mick Dixon described the input he was giving to the work as Board member lead for the natural and environmental assets work stream. 

 

Action:

·  Jane Wildblood to lead a discussion on the potential of community energy facilities at a future meeting of the Board

 

15:20

5.

Bath & North East Somerset Investment Board

Minutes:

Stephen Fuller and John Wilkinson described the opportunities that could be utilised through use of the currently empty building at 20 Manvers Street, with potential for it to become a business centre with landing space for creative and technology companies and business incubation space.  The Board welcomed the idea in principle and felt this was a great opportunity to utilise high quality office accommodation in the centre of the city. 

 

Action:

·  Victor Da Cunha to raise the idea of a business hub in Manvers Street with the Chamber of Commerce.

 

15:35

6.

Tackling the big issues: Urban Gulls pdf icon PDF 91 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Aled Williams gave a presentation outlining the challenges facing the area from urban gulls.  He covered the variety of ways in which the Council was working to tackle the problem and asked for help from partners.  The Board suggested speaking directly to the BID for assistance in speaking to businesses and also to approach major property owners in the city to see if there was potential for joint action on gulls on their property.  It was also felt that direct engagement with roofing contractors would be useful.

 

Action:

·  Ian Orpen to discuss the issue of urban gulls with St. Johns Hospital and GPs

·  Council to approach roofing contractors to try and work more closely with them in tackling the issue of urban gulls on roof tops

·  Council to discuss with the BID and Bath Tourism Plus.

 

15:50

7.

Fire Service Reorganisation

Minutes:

Mick Dixon shared the current situation regarding the reorganisation of the Fire Service.  Brislington fire station was closing and the service was looking to adopt a command structure similar to Avon & Somerset Police.  Mick advised that he would be stepping down from the Board and would be having a handover with the colleague who is to take over from him over the next few months.  The Board thanked Mick for his contribution and praised the good relationship that has been developed with the Fire Service locally.

 

8.

PSB Timeline

Minutes:

Sarah Brown presented the timeline that had been the culmination of work from all  Board member agencies and was designed to show the direction of travel for B&NES over the next few years.  Board members agreed that the timeline would be a useful tool and could be shared across their agencies. 

 

Action:

·  PSB timeline to be published in liaison with communications departments in each partner agency.

 

9.

Connecting Communities Forums

Minutes:

Louise Fradd provided feedback from a meeting of Connecting Communities Forums chairs and sponsors and thanked Board member agencies for their contribution to the Forums.  The input from the CCG and Police was particularly welcomed.  The Board were invited to be part of workshops that the Forums were arranging for the coming months looking at how they could continue to develop as effective engagement channels with local communities.  The update was noted. 

 

16:00

10.

Date of next meeting

Minutes:

Wednesday 3rd June 2015, 2-4pm, Guildhall.