Agenda and minutes

Venue: Bathampton Village Hall - 29 Holcombe Lane, Bathampton BA2 6UL. View directions

Contact: Mark Hayward 01225 396975  Email: mark_hayward@bathnes.gov.uk

Items
Note No. Item

5 minutes

1.

Introductions and Welcome pdf icon PDF 7 MB

The current Chair of Bathavon North Forum will open the meeting.

 

The Chair will ask for the minutes from the last meeting which took place on 23rd January 2019.

Minutes:

Hugh Baker welcomed everybody to the Bathampton Village Hall for the first meeting of the Bathavon North forum since January 2019.

 

Introductions were given by all attendees.

15 minutes

2.

AGM pdf icon PDF 51 KB

After a number of years Chairing the Bathavon and then the Bathavon North Forums Hugh Baker has decided to step down as Chair.

 

The forum members will need to identify a new Chair for the Bathavon North Forum. The vacancy of Vice Chair has not been filled in previous years but remains open to nominations should there be interest from members wishing to stand.

 

In the event of more than one person being nominated for the posts of Chair and/or Vice Chair there will need to be a ballot. Each Parish Council and each B&NES Ward Councillor will have one vote for both positions.  

 

 

Minutes:

Hugh Baker explained that he had taken on the role of Chair of the Bathavon Forum for a number of years and continued to Chair the meetings for Bathavon North when it was agreed that the area would split into two separate forums, the Bathavon North and the CAM Valley.

 

This meeting will be the final meeting that Hugh will Chair the meeting. The request has been made for a new Chair and a Vice Chair which at present no nominations have been made.

 

The meeting was asked for any volunteers but there was not anyone willing to agree to take on the role.

 

The request was made that if anyone wishes to put themselves forward, they should e-mail Mark Hayward  mark_hayward@bathnes.gov.uk

 

Kevin Guy explained that his colleague Sarah Warren who had not yet arrived at the meeting had spoken about taking on the role of Chair.

 

Dave Dixon explained what is involved in the roles and felt that the level time that was needed to commit to the roles was not particularly great.

 

The question was asked “if nobody takes on the role will the forum be allowed to continue to meet?” – Dave Dixon explained that the forum will continue with meeting being chaired by an officer of the Council.

 

ACTION – Council Officers will discuss with Sarah Warren if she wishes to take on the role of Bathavon Forum Chair.

15 minutes

3.

Police Update

The Police will be in attendance to discuss local crime matters and to take questions and comments from the public.

 

Minutes:

Neighbourhood Police Team Sergeant Adam O'Loughlin was present to update the forum on the local policing arrangements and what has been happening with reported crime in the local area.

 

Since last addressing this forum in January show changes have taken place in the structuring of neighbourhood teams. The team that cover the Bath Outer Area is fully staffed for the first time in a while. The details of the team can be found on the forces updated website - https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/your-area/bath-city-outer/

 

 

Adam explained that the crimes which are reported are measured in two ways, the data reported is based on either rolling or the calendar year.

·  Crime overall is up 10% which is 110 extra reported incidents

·  The incidents include; 2 Drug offences, 2 additional residential burglaries and a number of criminal damage incidents.  

·  Crime does remain low and is below the national and force wide averages.

·  Antisocial Behaviour incidents are up by 11% or 84 incidents, this also reflects a lower than average against force wide numbers.

·  Detailed information of reported crimes in the Bath Outer Area can be explored on the forces website -  https://www.police.uk/avon-and-somerset/CS219/

 

The local police are keen to make sure that their engagement agenda is taking place. Activities such as neighbourhood watch and community speed watch are examples of how communities can be effectively involved.

There is a need to refresh the understanding of what it is that the community want to see from the local resources the police have, there is and awareness that speeding still remains an issue in this area.

 

Questions

 

1.  How does a community know if they have a working neighbourhood watch group?

Response: Neighbourhood watch is a really important community tool and each scheme that is set up needs to feed in a local report to the police through their coordinator. The police will have a record of all active groups in the area.

2.  There have been changes to the local boundaries, which police localities are taking responsibility for are areas such as Claverton that seem to have fallen to a district not connected to the local area?

Response: There are local arrangements that have been put in place to deal with the anomalies that have occurred and Bath Outer is looking after those areas.

3.  Is Warley Weir being covered by the local policing team?

Response – Yes, this site is the local team’s responsibility. There is awareness of the issues that occur with chaotic parking on the A36 and Ferry Lane in the summer months. Next summer there will be a proper plan in place to deal with the issues, work will take place with the rire and ambulance services to ensure they have an understanding around access to the site.  

4.  Where there are parking issues on roads that are not directly associated with yellow lines, what rules are being followed to deal with the problems?

Response: The police try to take a pragmatic view where issues crop up. If there are repeated reports made about  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

15 minutes

4.

Fire and Rescue Update pdf icon PDF 239 KB

The Fire and Rescue Service will be in attendance to provide an update on incidents and work with communities. Questions and comments will be taken from the public.

 

Minutes:

Due to operational reasons Avon Fire and Rescue were unable to send a representative to this meeting.

 

Attached is the latest Avon Fire and Rescue service report.

 

20 mins

5.

B&NES Council - The new administration's priorities pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Councillor Romero, Leader of the Council, who will provide an update which outlines the new council administration’s priorities, including addressing the climate emergency and giving people a greater say in decision-making.

 

Minutes:

Council Leader Dine Romero provided the forum with a presentation on the priorities that she and her cabinet are addressing. This presentation is included with the forum meeting notes and is available on the Bathavon Forum Webpage –

https://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/neighbourhoods-and-community-safety/connecting-communities/bathavon-area-forum

 

Questions and discussion points

 

1.  How are you intending to make improvements to public transport?

Response: We have been working with the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) on a strategy that looks across the needs of the whole area. Once the strategy document is available we will be asking our communities to have their say on this with the aim of finding the right solutions for improvements.

 

2.  How will you make improvements to public engagement?

Response: We are aware of the mistakes that were made by the previous administration and how they had an impact on this local area. We are already working on the way that we set out Communication, Consultation and Community Engagement; it is important that how we frame the question that we are asking our communities is set out correctly. We have to ask ourselves if what we are asking people is really going address the issue and shape the next steps of what we need to do. We have to use the mechanisms in our communities and work with parishes to time the discussions correctly.

 

3.  There are issues for younger people within our communities that need to be addressed such as can free bus passes for public transport be provided to young people. There needs to be better opportunities to engage much earlier and by using place such as GP surgeries. 

Response: Dina asked “how can we attract your son to come along and engage with us?”

It was suggested that by attending places like the college and asking that question would be a starting point.

Response: Kevin Guy added that the proposal for all teenagers to be provided with free bus passes is being put forward at the Liberal Democrat Conference.

It was suggested that affordable local buses could address problems such as the parking at Warley Weir. Where people are living without a car they must be provided with the right options so the work in helping address climate emergency and health issues becomes easier.

 

4.  The climate emergency will require greater resources if parish councils are to deliver more. Presently most parishes only employ a clerk and maybe a litter picker. Ideas that come along often fade due to lack of available volunteers, the community need to know what parishes fund raising options exist.

Response: It would depend on what sort of project that the community want to take on, t might be that the project may only require a short term post to get started. The may be options that can be explored for projects to draw in additional funds, an example such as the waterscape project has drawn in large amounts of funding. It is often the case that local projects will have reliance on grass roots help.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

30 mins

6.

West of England Nature Partnership

The West of England Nature Partnership (WENP) will also be present to talk about how their plans fit with projects of local interest. WENP are a cross-sector partnership working to restore the natural environment in the West of England through embedding the value of nature in decision making across spatial planning, public health and economic development.

Minutes:

Sarah Warren explained that Mark Minkley had been invited to attend the Bathavon Forum to show the work that is taking place locally to address nature’s ecology emergency that has been declared.

 

Mark Minkley explained that the work that is taking place to address issues with the climate and ecology has to have links into local communities.

 

Two presentations were given which explained the work of the West of England Nature Partnership and Bathscape.

 

Link to both of the presentations:

WEN Partnership

Bathscape

 

·  Points that were included in the presentations:

·  Waterscape and Bathscape are the most well-known initiates

·  The Bristol and Avon area has a number of partnerships

·  The Festival of Nature which is held at Green Park in Bath attracted over 4,000 people earlier this year.

·  Bathscape covers the green heritage site area.

·  Ash dieback is a serious disease that is killing ash across Europe. Ash is a very important tree in the UK both ecologically and culturally so this disease is causing great concern about the damage it will do. There has been a meeting in Avoncliff that has explained that 20% of tree cover could be lost by this disease and there has to be an understanding of what action needs to be taken to deal with this.

 

 

Questions and discussion points

 

1.  How much engagement has taken place with children?

Response over the summer there have been over 500 children involved in initiatives. The city nature challenge smartphone app has proved to be a success. We are listening and looking to refine the process for future engagement.

2.  What happened in schools?

Response: We have carried out school visits and this is a critical strand of the work which has been supported by Bath Spa University.

3.  Northstoke is a small rural parish that has only 50 dwellings that would like to know how they go about contributing to the wider scheme. There appears to be a lack of detail of parish implications at the action plan level, land owners and interested people seem to have been missed.

Response: Areas that are covered were set out in the funding conditions from the HLF, this state delivery of a green setting of Bath (Bathscape). There are other areas of work that we are delivering on such as public rights of way. 

 

20 minutes

7.

Making the most of Community Forums

An opportunity to discuss how to make the most of the Bathavon Community Forum

 

Purpose of the meetings –

 

  • Be a clear alternative to the Parish Liaison meeting
  • Bringing together representation from the parished areas that are adjacent to the Bath City Boundary.
  • To raise and discuss common issues that are facing these areas that are mainly rural in nature.
  • Avoid duplication of issues that are covered at other Council meetings.
  • Meetings to be open access and promoted to the public.

 

Future priorities and topics for the Bathavon North Forum (these are all suggestions which have recently been submitted)-

 

  • Closure of Print Services, what alternatives have been put into place for Parishes that used the services?
  • What plans are there to secure Bathampton Meadows?
  • A presentation from B&NES, as the client for Connecting Devon and Somerset (Not Gigaclear) on the provision of rural fast broadband.
  • Implications of the B&NES Climate Emergency in more rural areas. Oil is relied on for heating and cooking, public transport does not serve the areas well and housing stock is old. What other opportunities are there for contributing?
  • The creation of paid positions that work with the local Bathavon North community on environmental initiatives. 
  • Priorities for highways
  • Litter and recycling

 

The date for the next forum meeting and how regular the forum wishes to meet will need to be agreed. 

 

Minutes:

Dave Dixon explained that the Bathavon North Area Forum has had difficulty in attracting enough interest to make it effective. The turnout tonight is a great improvement on previous meetings and the largest for this forum area.

 

The agenda for this meeting noted the purpose of the community forum and suggestions for future agendas that were submitted in advance of the meeting.

 

Purpose of the meetings –

 

  • Be a clear alternative to the Parish Liaison meeting
  • Bringing together representation from the parished areas that are adjacent to the Bath City Boundary.
  • To raise and discuss common issues that are facing these areas that are mainly rural in nature.
  • Avoid duplication of issues that are covered at other Council meetings.
  • Meetings to be open access and promoted to the public.

 

Future priorities and topics for the Bathavon North Forum (these are all suggestions which have recently been submitted)-

 

  • Closure of Print Services, what alternatives have been put into place for Parishes that used the services?
  • What plans are there to secure Bathampton Meadows?
  • A presentation from B&NES, as the client for Connecting Devon and Somerset (Not Gigaclear) on the provision of rural fast broadband.
  • Implications of the B&NES Climate Emergency in more rural areas. Oil is relied on for heating and cooking, public transport does not serve the areas well and housing stock is old. What other opportunities are there for contributing?
  • The creation of paid positions that work with the local Bathavon North community on environmental initiatives. 
  • Priorities for highways
  • Litter and recycling

 

Points that were noted from attendees at this meeting:

Meetings need to be:

·  Useful and effective in some way.

·  Not just a talking shop, be issue led.

·  Situated at local venues

·  Avoid duplication of parish liaison meetings

·  Make use of video links

·  Be an open meeting to all the community (residents, parishes and other groups)

·  Recognise that volunteers attend and are hard to come by

·  Include plenty of time for networking

·  Tap into ideas at an early stage and draw these out

·  Consider different times / days , could we have a Saturday morning session

·  Include local issues such as the meadows and the links

·  Look at issues such as public transport

·  Big issues need to come to forum early

·  There needs to be an understanding of when a topic is early engagement and when it is consultation, this forum could do this

·  The forum can fill the gaps that need a voice in the community, building the relationships is key to this

·  There has to be a mixture of mechanisms to get the message out that these meetings are happening. A mixture of radio, press (including the local look magazine), social media (including mail chimp), noticeboards (including GP surgeries) and parish and council newsletters.

·  Limited the number of topic at each meeting allowing a greater amount of time for topics, single issue meetings would be the preference.

·  Invite CCG representatives for health and wellbeing issues

·  Link to climate emergency, interest is high.

·  Meetings  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.