Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Brunswick Room - Guildhall, Bath. View directions

Contact: Marie Todd  01225 394414

Items
No. Item

18.

WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.  In particular he welcomed Graham Page the newly appointed independent member to his first meeting

 

He then updated members on the following developments since the last meeting:

 

·  New waste bins had been installed to replace the old and damaged ones.  Cllr Appleyard stated that the Trust should in future look to provide bins that provide separate compartments to encourage recycling.

 

·  The pond had been refilled and water was now circulating.

 

 

19.

EMERGENCY EVACUATION PROCEDURE

The Chair will draw attention to the emergency evacuation procedure as set out on the Agenda.

Minutes:

The Democratic Services Officer explained the emergency evacuation procedure.

20.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTION

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence.

21.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

At this point in the meeting declarations of interest are received from Members in any of the agenda items under consideration at the meeting. Members are asked to indicate:

(a) The agenda item number in which they have an interest to declare.

(b) The nature of their interest.

(c) Whether their interest is a disclosable pecuniary interest or an other interest,  (as defined in Part 2, A and B of the Code of Conduct and Rules for Registration of Interests)

Any Member who needs to clarify any matters relating to the declaration of interests is recommended to seek advice from the Council’s Monitoring Officeror a member of his staff before the meeting to expedite dealing with the item during the meeting.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

22.

TO ANNOUNCE ANY URGENT BUSINESS AGREED BY THE CHAIR

The Chair will announce any items of urgent business accepted since the agenda was prepared under the Access to Information provisions.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

23.

ITEMS FROM THE PUBLIC - TO RECEIVE DEPUTATIONS, STATEMENTS, PETITIONS OR QUESTIONS

Minutes:

There were no public questions or statements.

24.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 25 JUNE 2018 pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 25 June 2018.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 25 June 2018 were confirmed and signed as a correct record.

25.

ALICE PARK DEVELOPMENT PLAN pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To consider the draft development plan which was updated following the members’ site visit in July. 

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a draft development plan for the park which had been created following the members’ site visit in July.  The majority of the plan had the support of all members; however, there were four items which had not received full agreement:

 

(a)  The tennis hut – Cllr Appleyard stated that the tennis courts required maintenance work.  The surfaces and nets needed to be upgraded. It was important to understand the responsibility of the Council with regard to the tennis hut and courts.  The timescale for the Lawn Tennis Association work also needed to be clarified.  The Chair explained that the gutters, handrails and fascia needed to be repaired.

(b)  The lily pond – Cllr Patterson stated that, having considered this further, she now supported the pond remaining in its current location but did not wish it to be fenced off.  Paul Hooper suggested that a picket fence should be erected and a botanical area be created where people could sit.  Graham Page stated that this should be a restful area where any dogs should be kept on leads and that he would prefer a hedge to a fence.  Members discussed health and safety implications relating to the pond area and considered that there was no immediate risk.

(c)  The play area – Members discussed a suggestion to provide a water play feature.  Cllr Appleyard, in his role as local ward member, was currently carrying out a survey to find out what local people wanted from the play area.  This would provide a steer and an indication of what was required by local residents.

(d)  The skate park – This would be discussed later in the meeting.

 

RESOLVED:

 

(1)  To agree that the pond should remain in its current location with enhancements as required.  To consider whether to provide fencing in the pond area at a later date.

 

(2)  To obtain quotes for repairs to the guttering, handrail and fascia of the tennis hut and to arrange for the work to be carried out.

 

(3)  To ascertain the timescale for the Lawn Tennis Association deal.

 

(4)  To approve the park development plan and make it available to officers and the local community.

26.

STATEMENT OF ACCOUNTS AND ANNUAL REPORT FOR 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 74 KB

To consider and sign off the annual accounts and annual report for 2017/18.  The Sub-Committee raised a number of queries at the last meeting (set out in minute number 9).  The Group Accountant will respond to these questions at the meeting.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a report setting out the statement of accounts and annual report for 2017/18.  The Group Accountant responded to queries raised by members at the last meeting as follows:

 

·  The figure being spent on public conveniences covered cleaning and maintenance of the facilities.

·  The income from the public conveniences was paid into the general council fund which covered cleansing and contractors.  The Trust discussed whether this should be shown in the accounts as coming back into the Trust as income.  The Group Accountant agreed to take this suggestion back to the Finance Team.

·  The figure spent on play equipment covered inspections, annual maintenance and labour.

·  The £13,741 income figure referred to the day nursery and related insurance costs.

·  The restricted funds related to the properties in the park and the unrestricted funds related to the café.

 

It was noted that the lease for the café would be due for renewal in 2020.  Graham Page stated that this should be discussed at a meeting in the near future so that preparations can be made.  It was agreed that this should be discussed at the June/July meeting.  Members also discussed the advantages and disadvantages of revaluing the park assets to reflect current values.

 

RESOLVED: 

 

(1)  To agree the Statement of Accounts for the Alice Park Trust for the year ending 31 March 2018 (as set out in Appendix 1 of the report).

 

(2)  To agree the Annual Report for the Alice Park Trust for the year ending 31 March 2018 (as set out in Appendix 2 of the report).

27.

SKATE PARK UPDATE

Mark Cassidy, Parks and Bereavement Services Manager, will give an update on the skatepark project.  A range of options for the skatepark produced by the designers will be circulated at the meeting for the Sub-Committee’s consideration.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee received a presentation from Darcy Wright, Design Engineer, from Canvas Spaces, the company designing the skate park.  The site had now been agreed and a survey of the area had been carried out.  There were some constraints with the site and these would be taken into consideration during construction.  Plans setting out the proposed design of the skate park were circulated.  Copies of the plans are set out as an appendix to these minutes.

 

The skate park would be a bowl design which would sit in the ground.  This would reduce noise and eye-line visibility and would also avoid damage to trees.  In line with the brief from the Alice Park Trust the design was aimed at an age range from 4 to 14 years.

 

Cllr Appleyard suggested that the skate park user group should be consulted on the proposed design so that they could provide feedback.  It was confirmed that Canvas could carry out a consultation exercise if required.

 

Canvas explained that the design would be challenging enough for the specified age group whilst also enabling the more experienced skaters to use more complex skills to provide further challenge.

 

Cllr Norton stated that he felt this was a good design and proposed that the Trust accept the plans submitted.

 

Mark Cassidy, Parks Manager, queried whether an artificial mound could be provided around the skate park as grass in the area could be eroded.  Canvas confirmed that rubber mulch could be used if required.

 

Paul Hooper felt that the design looked clean and sympathetic with the location and would be a good launchpad for younger children to progress their skills.

 

RESOLVED unanimously:

 

(1)  To approve the skate park design presented by Canvas.

 

(2)  To progress with construction of the skate park following consultation with the skate park user group.

Proposed Site Plan - Appendix 1 pdf icon PDF 168 KB

Additional documents:

28.

ANNUAL REPORT TO THE CHARITABLE TRUST BOARD pdf icon PDF 62 KB

To consider the draft annual report from the Alice Park Trust Sub-Committee to be submitted to the Charitable Trust Board.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee considered a draft annual report for submission to its parent body, the Charitable Trust Board.

 

RESOLVED: To agree the annual report for submission to the Charitable Trust Board.

29.

JOIN UP OF FOOTPATHS

CIL funding has been granted for the joining up of footpaths within Alice Park.  The Board is asked to consider how it wishes to proceed with this project.

Minutes:

The Chair explained that, having received the CIL funding to join up the footpaths within the park, it was important to agree exactly where paths would be constructed and to commence this work.

 

Cllr Appleyard suggested that the paths should lead around the skate park and also that the funding be used to provide a hardstanding area adjacent to the skate park facility if necessary.

 

The Chair stated that he would lead on this project and would liaise with officers as necessary whilst keeping members of the Trust informed of progress.

 

Graham Page stated that the users he had spoken to would favour a path around that rear of the tennis courts.  He also confirmed that joggers would prefer rounded corners and stressed the importance of considering the needs of people with disabilities and people with pushchairs.  There should also be a path between the playground and the boules area to protect the trees.

 

RESOLVED:

 

(1)  To agree to progress with the joining up of the footpaths within the park.

 

(2)  To ask officers to prepare a detailed plan of the footpath proposals.

 

(3)  To agree that the paths should lead behind the tennis courts and should be as accessible as possible taking into account budget and land constraints.

30.

SIGNAGE AND LOGO

To receive an update on the new logo for use on signage in Alice Park.

Minutes:

The Sub-Committee discussed the use of a logo specific to the Alice Park Trust for use within the park and on documentation, publicity etc.  A logo had been designed by officers.

 

RESOLVED: To agree the use of the specific Alice Park Trust logo with immediate effect.

31.

FLAGPOLE IN ALICE PARK

To consider proposals to erect a flagpole in Alice Park.  The Chair will report on this item.

Minutes:

The Chair explained that it is a requirement of the 1930s Conveyance that a flag is flown on Alice MacVicar’s birthday.  The flagpole has rotted away and was taken down some years ago; its base is now under mature trees at the entrance to the park.  A flagpole has been given to the Trust by the Parks Department and has been moved to Alice Park.  Two quotes have been obtained for the re-installation of the flagpole.

 

Members discussed the location of the flagpole and the Chair confirmed that planning permission would not be required.

 

RESOLVED:

 

(1)  To agree to reinstate the flagpole at Alice Park and to position it in the memorial garden behind the war memorial.

 

(2)  To agree to place an order with Tom Ledbury (a Council approved small works contractor) for this work at a cost of £320 +VAT. 

 

 

32.

PARK HERITAGE INFORMATION BOARDS

To consider a proposal to erect two heritage information boards in the park.  The Chair will report on this item.

Minutes:

The Chair made a proposal that two heritage boards be placed in the park.  One to be positioned at the main entrance and one by the pond.  He explained that there was a rich history around the MacVicar family who had gifted the park to the city.  The Boards would contain historical information and photographs of the family including Alice MacVicar, Bertie MacVicar and Col WB Richie DSO the career soldier and war hero and brother in law to Alice.  This would build on the heritage asset of the park to enhance its appeal and market its heritage.  This proposal had the full support from descendants of the MacVicar family.

 

Cllr Appleyard felt that this was a good idea and also proposed that a new noticeboard be positioned at the entrance to the park. 

 

RESOLVED:

 

(1)  To agree that two heritage boards and a new noticeboard should be provided in the park.

 

(2)  To request the Chair to obtain quotes for this work which should then be circulated via email to all members for final approval.

33.

FIREWORKS AT ALICE PARK

Minutes:

Graham Page raised the issue of the closure of the park for a fireworks display which would be taking place on Saturday 27 October 2018.  He queried whether the park could legally be closed to the public for this purpose and, if it were to be closed, asked whether notices informing people of the closure should be displayed in advance of the event.

 

The Chair agreed to look into this as a matter of urgency.

34.

FUTURE MEETING DATES

To agree future meeting dates for 2019.  Possible dates are:

 

Monday 18 February, 25 February or 11 March

 

Monday 10, 17 or 24 June

 

Monday 14, 21 or 28 October

Minutes:

RESOLVED: To hold the next meeting on Monday 25 February 2019 at 6pm.