Decision maker: Cabinet
Decision type: Key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Permanent repair and refurbishment of Victoria Bridge to re-open the bridge to pedestrian and cycle use.Decision to fund the permanent repair of the structure following emergency works in December 2011 to support the structure from risk of failure. Decision to select the recommended option and fund the long term solution for the Victoria Bridge Rd crossing.
(1) To APPROVE the project funds to progress the project in the capital programme, with funding as outlined in the report;
(2) To AGREE that option one best meets the requirements of the brief for a permanent re-opening of the Bridge; and
(3) To APPROVE the Project Programme as set out in the report.
Reasons for the decision:
As the Bridge has an historic value, provides an important route for pedestrians (including a route to school) and is a key gateway to the Western Riverside development the Council should take the necessary steps to ensure the Bridge is restored. Failure to restore the crossing will inevitably raise reputational issues highlighted by the Council’s statutory responsibility for safeguarding heritage assets.
In selecting Option 1 a balance would be achieved between whole life future maintenance costs and protecting the character and historic value of the structure.
Alternative options considered:
Among the alternatives considered were:
· Opt 2 Introduce a new structural deck and up-stand beam solution within the footprint of the existing deck, whilst retaining and refurbishing the remainder of the existing iron superstructure in a non-structural capacity. This option would significantly alter the appearance, form and function of the bridge and it is unlikely that English Heritage would be supportive.
· Opt 3 Remove the existing superstructure and introduce a completely new bridge of a contemporary and high quality design. In terms of loss of heritage infrastructure, the necessary consents might be secured if an appropriate innovative new design were proposed.
· Opt 4 Remove the existing superstructure and abandon the crossing. This option fails to provide a pedestrian/cycling route across the River.
Report author: Simon Martin
Publication date: 14/06/2012
Date of decision: 13/06/2012
Decided at meeting: 13/06/2012 - Cabinet
Effective from: 22/06/2012